Monday, March 9, 2015

A Family Story

My daughter loves to hear family stories.  Stories about her grandparents, stories about me when I was a child, and stories about how I met her dad.  Yesterday, we had the pleasure of having my mom over for dinner.  After dinner I suggested that Rachel ask her grandmother to tell her a story.

"What kind of story do you want the hear, Rachel?" Her grandmother asked.  "I don't know, whatever you want."  Rachel responds.  

"Well, I think you're old enough to hear this.  I was 30 years old.  I hadn't gotten my period yet.  So I went to the doctor to see if he could give me something.  I told the doctor that I had not gotten my period and I was worried that I might be pregnant.  He asked me how many children I had and I told him I had 3.  The doctor gave me an injection.  I went home and waited but to my dismay I still didn't get my period.  I went back to the doctor a  few weeks later.  I told him that whatever he had given me did not work because I still had not gotten my period.  I was so angry, I slammed the office door.   About another month went by and I went back to see the doctor because I figured I had to pregnant.  He told me he felt so bad after I left his office angry.  I said, yes, I was angry because you could have helped me but you didn't.  That's when I found out I was pregnant with your mother."

"What?  Am I hearing this right?  You didn't want me?"  I asked my mom.  I was shocked.  I had never before heard my mom say that she really had not wanted any more children when she conceived me.  This was news to me!  

Mom went on to say, "Then your mom was born.  She had a head full of black hair and fat round cheeks.  All the neighbors wanted to know what I was feeding her because she was so fat."  This was moms way of reassuring me the I was wanted none the less.

It's always a treat to hear my mom tell one of her stories.  
     Even the ones that have an unexpected twist.

Who are the storytellers in your family?  Please share in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment