Monday, March 16, 2015

My Encounter With a Raccoon (SOL Day 16)

This morning my alarm woke me at 5:00 a.m.  It was time to get up and head out to the gym.  Only having had 4 hours of sleep, I was a bit startled by the beeping.  I've been trying to adjust to the time change, but my attempts have not been successful.   Every night I vow to get to bed earlier, but my body doesn't want to cooperate.  As sleepy as I was I got dressed, grabbed my keys and water bottle, then headed out the door.  As I drove down the street the usual cautiousness started to settle in.

It was really dark, and I drove slowly as my headlights illuminated the road ahead of me.  As I approached a wooded area near the end of my street, I began to look to my left and my right in case a deer or two decided to dash out of the woods and across the road.  Nervously, I proceeded without a deer in sight.  But, then I saw it…
a rather robust raccoon!  I was so startled, I screamed.  I was only seconds away from running the little guy over.  As it continued to scurry across the road, I let out a sigh of relief.  No deer in sight, but now I'm going to add pesky, robust raccoons to my lists of things I don't want to run over...or run into.

After that, I wasn't at all sleepy anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I find it so difficult to get enough sleep since there always seems to be so much to do. However, I think a close encounter with a raccoon would wake me up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a skunk on my way in. I really hope I don't see his family in my yard.

    ReplyDelete