Friday, March 23, 2012

Three Questions (SOLS #23)

One of my favorite picture books is, The Three Questions (Based on a story by Leo Tolstoy) and written and illustrated by Jon J. Muth.  In this book, the three questions are worded slightly differently from the way they appear in Tolstoy's original story.  I thought I would use these three questions as a backdrop for my slice and also to reflect on this challenge.

When is the best time to do things?
Who is the most important one?
What is the right thing to do?

When is the best time to do things?
Everyone knows the answer to this question.  The best time is now.  For many of us "Now" started on March 1, 2012 when this year's Slice of Life Story challenge began.  Initially, we may not have been sure if this was going to be the best time to join this challenge.  But, we knew the time was "now" because we felt deep within, that the time was right.  We may have been nervous, apprehensive, or just plain overwhelmed, but we jumped in with both feet, resolving to do it, committing to give it our best shot.


Who is the most important one?
We all are!  Every person participating in the Slice of Life Challenge has a voice.  Writing styles vary from slicer to slicer.  Yet, every one's stories are of value.  While we think of Ruth and Stacy as our mentors, they seem to think of us as partners on the same writing journey.  Ruth and Stacy write daily slices along with the rest of us.  They identify with our struggles as writers.  I know this because they tell us so when they comment on our posts.  They encourage us just when we seem to need it most.  We may put them on writing pedestals, but they have placed themselves right besides us.  Thank you Ruth and Stacy for your encouragement, motivation, and support.

What is the right thing to do?
The right thing to do is to keep writing.  The right thing to do is to complete this challenge.  The right thing is to keep writing and living writerly lives long after this challenge ends.  The right thing may be something different for each of us.  The right thing is to do all those things you've desired to do with your writing, but until now, didn't have the time, confidence, or motivation to do it.  You have what it takes, and you've had it all along.  Just Do It!  We all have this challenge to thank for opening our minds and hearts to believe it.

What are the old or new possibilities this challenge has opened your heart and mind to?  Please share.

16 comments:

  1. This challenge has given me much to think about in my classroom. The power of commenting has never been more apparent as it is now. My students are learning first hand how motivating comments can be. I have grown so much through the challenge and gotten to know a lot of blogs that I didn't know before. I'm so glad I joined the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      I feel the same way. I think participating in the challenge has helped me become a better writing teacher. Like you, I love being introduced to new blogs through this challenge. It's been a great experience all around.

      Delete
  2. So true-- keep writing! I am finally at that point where I wake up thinking about what I'll write today. This challenge has stretched me, made me stronger. I'm so thankful for this month of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Wendi. This challenge really does stretch your writing muscles.

      Delete
  3. You are right in saying "Initially, we may not have been sure if this was going to be the best time to join this challenge." I really wasn't sure I wanted to make the commitment. But I did and am actually surprising myself in how I have not dreaded taking the challenge even once. I'm also stunned at how I've been able to come up with something to write about each day! I truly have never thought of myself as a writer. I love how you combined your slice with The Three Questions, once again making that connection between reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also stunned at being able to come up with something to write about each day. However, some days the ideas come easier than others.

      Delete
  4. This challenge has shown me that I have a writing voice. I'm not so worried about publishing my thoughts anymore. I've found courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found the courage. I have a lot more courage to try different kinds of writing now, compared to when I started out.

      Delete
  5. This has been a very challenging month. Thanks for recognizing that everyone's stories are of value. I especially appreciate your words of encouragement with the third question. What is the right thing to do? Keep writing! Such a surprising journey for me and my students this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romana,
      Everyone in this challenge has been so supportive to one another. I love this writing community. It's wonderful that you have included your students in on the fun. I'll have to stop by your blog and leave some comments.

      Delete
  6. I've tried some poetry, some fiction and to do just what you said - keep writing. Even when I miss a day, just get back at it and realize it doesn't have to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      I'm so happy it doesn't have to be perfect. That would have eliminated me right away:) Writing slices each day doesn't leave a lot of time for revision. Thank goodness readers are very supportive and not at all critical.

      Delete
  7. Great ideas and your post is such a supportive way to encourage us all to keep on writing.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin,
      Thank you for saying that. We are all on this journey together, aren't we? By the way, thanks for the RT on Twitter, too.

      Delete
  8. Valerie,
    I loved the way you were able to weave these questions into the challenge we have taken. Like you, I find it interesting to read and enjoy the variety of voices participating. As we near the final part of the challenge I think we've all realized we can do it. Great line, "We all have this challenge to thank for opening our minds and hearts to believe it." So true!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy,
      This challenge has been such a positive experience. I've found that I can really stretch myself, explore new genres and craft moves, or simply rattle on and on about nothing in particular. Mostly, I've experienced first hand how difficult it can be to get something...anything down, yet we keep on writing.

      Delete